Aarhus University Seal

Residence Permit/Certificate

Depending on your nationality, you need to apply for a residence certificate (for EU students) or residence permit (non-EU students) for the duration of your stay in Aarhus. Nordic citizens do not need to apply for residence permit/certificate.

Please note that it is a condition for the residence permit/certificate that you are active and enrolled in an educational programme. 


As a non-EU/EEA citizen, you must apply for a residence permit for studies from the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) before you arrive in Denmark. You will receive information from AU on how to apply after admission to AU.

Don't start applying for a residence permit before you get the acceptance letter and the application form from AU.

Please then apply well in advance, as it takes up to 60 days to obtain the residence permit. 

Accompanying family members

If you have accompanying family members, it is possible to apply for a residence permit in Denmark for accompanying family members.

These include spouse, civil partner, cohabiting partner, or children under the age of 18.

You can find a step-by-step guide to submitting an application at SIRI’s website:

Please note:

  • We strongly recommend that you and all your family members have your biometrics registered at the same time to ease the processing of your case.
  • Remember to fill out all application forms as requested without skipping any information, including translating and attaching all relevant documents, to avoid a heavy delay or worst-case scenario rejection of your application.
  • Be aware that accompanying family members from non-EU countries who wish to study at a Danish university while in Denmark must pay tuition fees. The residence permit typically allows the family member to study while in Denmark but does not include the right to free education in Denmark.


As an EU/EEA Citizen, you will have to apply for your EU Residence Certificate when you arrive in Denmark. We strongly recommend that you apply for your EU Residence Certificate during the AU Intro Days at the same time as you apply for your Danish CPR number.

Gather the following documents which you will need when you apply for your EU residence certificate:

  • 1 COPY OF PASSPORT (photo page) / NATIONAL ID CARD (front and back)
  • 1 PASSPORT PHOTO (not a copy)
  • 1 COPY OF LETTER OF AU-ENROLMENT (printed no more than three months before your apply for residence certificate from mitau.dk)

You will receive further instructions via e-mail on how to apply for your EU residence certificate 1 month before semester start.

Nordic Citizens (Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Finland)

If you are a Nordic citizen, you are free to enter, reside, study and work in Denmark (you do not need a visa, residence certificate/permit or work authorisation). For further information, please see the Danish Immigration Service webpage for Nordic citizens.