8000 Aarhus C
This page provides important information about your lease and stay in Denmark.
If you do not find answers to your questions in the folder, please contact email@example.com
You are to pick up your key at the AU Housing reception, Dale T. Mortensen Building, Høegh-Guldbergs Gade 4A, 8000 Aarhus C during our opening hours
Learn here how to use your SALTO key chip.
Upon moving in, please inspect your accommodation thoroughly. You have to fill out the "Moving in check list" and bring it to AU Housing at the International Centre no later than 3 days after moving in date. The "Moving in check list" is attached to your contract.
Cost of repairing damages etc. not stated in the "Moving in check list", or conducted during your stay, will be deducted from your deposit upon moving out.
We recommend that you to talk to the janitor about Dormitory rules and procedures regarding using the laundry and other common facilities, cleaning, garbage treatment and other practical information as soon as possible after you moved in. It will make your stay easier and can save you a lot of money. Find the janitors contact information under tap "Janitor".
Getting your contract
You receive your contract when you pick up your key. The contract is in Danish. You receive 2 copies of it. One is for you. The other one you must sign and return to AU Housing within 7 days after arrival.
Before buying your plane ticket home please see the latest moving out dates here
Download an English translation of your contract. This copy is for translation purposes only.
If you want to extend your lease, you must contact firstname.lastname@example.org minimum two months before your contract ends. Extensions are granted in exceptional cases only.
ONLY termination notice forms received TIMELY will be treated.
You must pay your first month's rent when you accept your housing offer (before arrival). If your lease starts on the 15th, you will only be charged a half month’s rent for your first month.
At the end of each month you will receive an e-mail with information about the next month's rent payment. The rent can only be paid by credit card via our online self-service system.
Deposit payment and reimbursement
See more information here
If you have any questions regarding your rent payment, kindly send an email to email@example.com or
click here for more information.
It is your responsibility to insure yourself and your belongings while you are staying in Denmark as Aarhus University does not cover any losses that may occur. We highly recommend that you take out the following insurance policies either before or immediately after arriving in Denmark.
If you decide to buy insurance in Denmark, the University recommends that you contact different insurance companies to find the one that best suits your needs. The large insurance companies such as TRYG, Alm. Brand Forsikring and Top Danmark have homepages in English.
At your accommodation internet access is included in the rent.
The furniture in your room is provided by AU Housing. The basic furnitures are a bed, table, chair, lamp and clothes storage furniture. If some of the basic furniture is missing or broken please send email to AU Housing, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duvet, pillow, towels and bed linen are not provided. You must bring it with you or buy upon arrival. You must use bed linen.
You will get a mattress protector (thin white mattress) handed to you along with your key, since this is mandatory to use at your dorm. For sanitary reasons, each new tenant is given a new one upon arrival. The price is deducted from your deposit (85 DKK). You need to take the mattress protector with you when you leave.
Video on how to open and close venetian blinds. The video is not made by AU Housing.
The kitchen is equipped with basic kitchen ware for preparing meals.
The furniture and kitchen equipment is expected to be left in the same condition and number as when you took over the tenancy, except for the normal wear and tear. Cost of missing or broken furniture will be deducted from your deposit.
By bus in Aarhus
Aarhus is a great city for biking. Almost all students use bicycles for transportation. You can buy a new one or second hand bicycle or rent a bycycle.
Transportation in Denmark
Remember that you need to vacate your room no later than 9 am 14 days before the end date of your lease.
If you are planning on leaving home before the end date of your contract, you might have the possibility to shorten your contract (see the tab "How to change the end date of your contract").
Before the end of your lease you will receive an email with the time and date for the inspection by the janitor. It is advisable to be present during the inspection. Cleaning and damages costs to the room will be deducted from your deposit.
It is not possible to stay in the accommodation after the inspection.
For your information - see price example for cleaning services in Denmark here
Keys and the residence folder
If you are present during the inspection - please give the key and a possible laundry card/tag, etc. to the inspector. Leave the residence folder in the room.
If you are not present during the inspection – return the key and a possible laundry card/tag, etc. to the inspectors office at Dagmar Petersens Gade 80, 8000 Aarhus C during their opening hours or in their mailbox. Place the key, etc. in an envelope with your name and address on it. You must return the key on the latest date of moving out - otherwise the lock will be changed and you will pay for it. Leave the residence folder in the room.
You have to remove all your personal belongings from your room and common areas. No items purchased or obtained during your stay must be left behind. This includes duvet, pillow, furniture, food items (also spices, flour, oil etc.), electrical devices, and home decorations. If you leave anything behind (also just very small things), you will be charged a minimum fee of 500 DKK (500 DKK for the first hour, hereafter 350 DKK/hour for handling of larger items like sofas, tables etc.)
Before the inspection you have to empty all cupboards and drawers. Place plates, glasses, pots, pans, cutlery etc. in a (plastic) bag (or two). Clean the cupboards and drawers inside. The bags with kitchen utensils must be left at the kitchen table when you leave, and nothing must be left in cupboards or drawers.
CPR - DEREGISTRATION
If you leave Denmark (holidays excepted) you have to deregister from the Civil Registration System (CPR). This must be done online at www.lifeindenmark.dk if you have a NemID.
If you don’t have a NemID please write an email to email@example.com including your name, birthday (not the entire cpr number), address in Denmark, date of leaving Denmark and information about the country you move to.
You can deregister 4 weeks before departure.
The limit of notification is 5 days after departure!
You will also have to notify your Danish bank and remove your name tag from the mailbox.
1. I accept to pay a booking fee of 600 DKK when I accept a housing offer from AU Housing.
Rent, deposit and cancellation policy
1. I accept to pay the first months’ rent and eventual service agreement fee by credit card via online system when I accept my housing offer.
2. I accept that I will pay a deposit of one to three months’ rent. More information here.
3. I accept that I will pay my rent every month on or before the last weekday before the turn of the month by credit card only via online system. In case I don’t pay the rent on time, I accept that a fee will apply and that I will pay any costs in connection with the termination of my lease (legal fee, court costs etc.). More information here.
4. I accept that I will pay the eventual service agreement expenses (covering costs such as utilities, internet and furniture) every month along with my rent.
5. I accept the following cancellation policy:
6. The only way to cancel my lease is to send the notice of termination through the form found here.
7. I accept that I will pay my rent during the cancellation period.
8. I accept that AU is not responsible for my eventual delay due to visa, health or any other problems and that I will pay my rent until I cancel my lease even though I haven’t collected my key.
Moving in and out
1. I accept that I can move into my room on the first working day after my lease starts. If my lease starts on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, I can’t move in until the following Monday.
2. I accept that different moving out dates applies to different accommodations depending on my leasing contract. The moving out dates is:
3. I agree that I have read and understood the information about which of the above mentioned moving out dates applies to my lease. Please, find the moving out dates here.
4. I accept to pay rent in the renovation period.
5. I agree that I will leave my lease in the same condition as found apart from normal wear and tear.
6. I agree to pay for neglect of my home, damaged and missing inventory, and insufficient cleaning of my room and adjoining common areas.
7. I agree that I will return the same number of keys and laundry card to the caretaker or to the IC as described in my residence folder. In case I don’t deliver my keys, I will pay for the change of the lock.
1. I am obliged to observe the house rules.
2. I am obliged to pay attention to neighbours and take part in weekly cleaning of common areas (if any) and half-yearly general cleaning of common areas.
3. I am fully responsible for the room/apartment that I rent. I will pay repair costs for damages caused by me or any person visiting me.
4. I am aware that AU doesn’t provide any insurance and it is my own responsibility to acquire a suitable insurance to cover any loss of my belongings.
5. I accept that my lease is a single occupancy (unless otherwise is explicitly informed about in my housing offer) and that it is only permissible for the contract holder to live there.
6. I accept that I am not allowed to sublet my lease.
7. I accept that no pets are allowed.
8. I accept that smoking is not allowed neither in my room/apartment, nor at any common areas.
9. I accept that I am not allowed to paint, alter or make any permanent alterations in my room/apartment.