Aarhus University Seal

FAQ - housing through AU

Find answers to your questions

In the following you find answers to common questions. If your question is not answered please contact housing@au.dk 

Booking fee - AU Housing

A non-refundable booking fee of 600 DKK will be charged if you accept a housing offer through AU Housing.  

Should I apply for a room via AU Housing or via Student Housing Aarhus?

AU Housing disposes of a limited number of rooms for specified categories of international students where you can live for a maximum of 12 months. The rooms are furnished, and AU Housing provides a number of services that make life easier for international students arriving directly from abroad. You can not choose a specific location of your accommodation and you will receive one housing offer only.

Student Housing Aarhus offers of a large number of rooms which can be applied for by Danish and international students on the same conditions. Student Housing Aarhus are for all kind of Danish as well as international students - not only students at Aarhus University. It means that you will meet students from all kind of educational institutions at the dorms. Rooms are not furnished. You can live in the rooms for as long as you are a student (there is a student activity control twice a year.) You can choose specific dorms that you like (but check the waiting lists before you choose, because the dorms in the city center and other popular dorms have 2-4 years waiting time.) You can decline a housing offer twice.

If you are an intern (not taken any exams at AU) or a PhD student you are not eligible for housing via Student Housing Aarhus.

Should I apply at both places?
You can apply at both places at the same time. If you receive a housing offer from both places, you can decline the housing offer you like the least. Declining a housing offer is free of charge. However, if you have already accepted a housing offer and hereafter want to cancel your contract, you need to follow the cancellation policy. You find the AU cancellation policy here. Before you accept a housing offer from Student Housing Aarhus, you should check the cancellation policy in your contract.

If you are going to stay in Aarhus for more than two semesters, we recommend that you sign up at Student Housing Aarhus as early as possible. The longer you have been on their waiting list, the better chances you have to receive a housing offer in an attractive dorm. So, you might accept a housing offer from AU, stay there for one or two semesters while you are at the waiting list at Student Housing Aarhus, and then you can move to a room through Student Housing Aarhus at the time, when you have 6-12 months seniority at their waiting list.

I am allocated a room far out of town. Can I move closer to the University?

Most students are allocated rooms outside the campus area and the city center. If you must live in the city centre, you will have to look for a room at the private market. From most rooms allocated via AU Housing it is possible to reach campus within 30 minutes, either by bike or by bus. 

When can I collect my key

You can collect your key at the International Center from 1pm on the day your lease starts unless this day is a Saturday, Sunday or holiday.

My contract starts 1.8., but I will not arrive until 15.8. Do I need to pay rent for half of August?

Yes, you need to pay your rent from the start of your housing period no matter the reason for your delay including problems with visa, illness or any other reasons. It is not possible to postpone a housing contract.

I have seen there is a vacant room in a dorm where I want to live. Can I move there?

No. The AU Housing Service can provide only one room for you. Only a limited number of rooms in each dorm are reserved for exchange students and vacant rooms can’t be given to exchange students. If you want to move, you can either look for a room at the private market or sign up at the waiting list at the International Centre.

Why do I have to leave my room 7 working days before my contract expires?

In most dorms in Denmark you must move out some days or weeks before your contract ends. This period is called the maintenance period. You are obliged to pay your rent in the maintenance period. The janitor will during these days clean and maintain the room. In some dorms the maintenance period is 7 weekdays, in others it is two weeks. In a few dorms they don't have a maintenance period at the end of the lease and you can stay until the last weekday in the contract. In these dorms the maintenance period is in the beginning of the lease and you might therefore not be able to move in on the first days of the contract.

The maintenance period is laid down by the Danish rental legislation. Aarhus University doesn't own residences but mediates contact between internationals and dorm owners. AU is aware of the inconvenience this legislation causes but we are not able to change the legislation.

As rules are different from dorm to dorm, check your online residence information for the rules at your specific dorm.

I have applied for accommodation but I am not going to study in Aarhus after all. Do I have to pay for my accommodation anyway?

If you inform us at least 6 weeks before your contract starts, we will refund you the paid rent. If you inform us less than 6 weeks before your contract starts, you will have to observe the termination notice in your contract and pay the rent for this period. The invoice will be sent to you.

I haven’t got my visa yet, so my arrival in Aarhus will be delayed. Can I postpone my contract?

Your landlord or residence expects the rent to be paid regardless of the reason for your delay. All leasing contracts are individual and cannot be transferred to another person. Therefore it is not possible to postpone a leasing contract, but a contract can always be cancelled with 6 weeks notice.

Can I live in University accommodation in my second year?

No. The AU housing office can provide accommodation for you for maximum 2 semesters only.

Is it necessary to purchase property insurance?

Yes. The University does not assume responsibility for the loss of money or valuables, damages to property or injuries on the premises. Therefore it is strongly recommended that you take out a home content insurance to protect against such losses.

Can I choose which residence I will be living in?

It is unfortunately not possible to choose a specific residence if you apply for housing through AU Housing. When you fill in your housing application, you can prioritize which type of housing you prefer. If you want to apply for a specific residence, you should apply at www.studenthousingaarhus.com instead.

What if I am not happy with my allocated room?

If you are not happy with your accommodation when you arrive, AU Housing recommends that you allow time to adjust to your new residence. Our experience shows that many students find they are very happy once they have settled in and met new friends.

If, after 4 weeks, you still wish to move, please sign up to our accommodation waiting list at the IC. If any rooms become available they will be distributed to the students on the waiting list.

What about bed linen?

You have to bring (or buy) your own duvet, pillow, bed linen and towels.

Do I need to bring my own furniture?

Rooms allocated via AU Housing are furnished with basic furniture: bed, chair, lamp, table. If your accommodation has a private kitchen, you will also find basic kitchenware: plates, cups, cutlery, pot and pan.

You need to bring (or buy after arrival) duvet, pillow, bed linen and towels.

If you are allocated a room from www.studenthousingaarhus.dk you will in most cases not find furniture in your room. Don't forget to check it, before you sign the contract. Find more information here.

If you sublet a room, the room will in most case be furnished (don't forget to ask your landlord about it.)

Is there any accommodation suitable for students with special needs?

If you have a disability or medical condition which needs to be taken into account in the accommodation allocation procedure, you should write this on the Accommodation Application Form.  Only information provided at the time of application, along with written confirmation from a Medical Practitioner, will be taken into account in the allocation process.  All disability/medical information provided will be treated confidentially and be used for the accommodation procedure only.

I need family accommodation, what should I do?

The number of residences suitable for families and couples are in limited supply at our university. Please write about your preferences in the special remarks part of the application form and we will do our best to find you suitable accommodation.

I have a pet. Can I bring it with me?

Only one dorm, Skjoldhøjkollegiet, allows pets. Therefore you have to write in your application that you bring a pet and therefore need to be allocated a room at the Skjoldhøj kollegium.