Deadline 31 Jan 23:59 CET
Expected start 1 May
Department of Agroecology - Agricultural Systems and Sustainability Blichers Allé 20 8830 Tjele
Fixed term full-time position 1 May 2023 - 30 Apr 2026 ID: 10876
You will be part of a research environment focusing on reducing the climate and environmental impact in agriculture moving towards climate friendly production systems and sustainable diets, and reducing the environmental impacts in the agricultural production. Life cycle assessment (LCA) is used as one of the main tools in the system analysis of assessing climate and environmental impact of food production and other agriculture based products – also including and improving the impact categories of biodiversity, soil quality and carbon sequestration.
You will be contributing to specifically the area of improving the sustainability of food and farming systems based on farm specific and national data. In particular, you will contribute to documentation and development of LCA models and methods within this area, as well as identification of promising mitigation solutions and innovative production systems.
We expect that you will be an important part of the research environment and that you will contribute positively to the social working environment. We also expect that you will take part in our teaching activities and that you will report research results in high-impact scientific journals.
We are searching for a highly motivated candidate who has
- A PhD in sustainability assessment of agriculture and food systems
- Collaborative skills and ability to participate actively in teams
- A fondness of taking the initiative and the motivation to pursue a scientific career
- Documented experience in scientific writing and publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Research experience in some of the areas of life cycle assessment (LCA) and use of LCA tools like SimaPro
- Teaching and supervision experience at the BSc and MSc level
- Interest and preferably experience in developing competitive national and international research applications
- Insight into life cycle assessment (LCA) of plant based food systems like crops and vegetables, and into including a wide range of impact categories in LCA e.g. climate impact including soil carbon changes, and biodiversity
- Experience with setting up models of food and farming systems in Excel or similar tools for calculating related emissions
At the Department of Agroecology, our main goal is to contribute to sustainable solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems within the areas of soil, plants, animals, humans, and the environment. We want to make a difference by contributing to both fundamental knowledge generation and the attainment of sustainable production systems via innovative research, contracted policy advice, and education. We offer state-of-the-art laboratories, greenhouses, semi-field, and field-scale research facilities, advanced computing capacities as well as an extensive national and international researcher network. The department consists of eight research sections with around 270 highly dedicated employees, of which approximately 50% are scientific staff. More information can be found here.
What we offer
- An informal and multicultural research environment with high professionalism, where accountability, commitment, helpfulness, flexibility, and close collaboration is a prerequisite solving the core tasks
- A good social environment with activities and routines that make it possible to talk across and strengthen the inclusive relationship, and where mutual trust, respect, kindness, and professional sparring are emphasized
- A flexible workplace with a good work-life balance
- An exciting and varied working environment, where two days rarely resemble each other. We are often busy, and we work creatively for solutions to societal challenges
- Subsidized preschool child care and a free education system from primary school up to university level
- Universal health insurance as a resident of Denmark, including family members officially residing in Denmark
- Five weeks paid holiday per year
- In connection with childbirth: the right to have a total of 52 weeks shared maternal/paternal leave with full or partial salary pay
The place of work is Aarhus University, Campus Viborg, Blichers Allé 20, DK-8830 Tjele, Denmark. The affiliation will be with the Department of Agroecology.
More information can be obtained from senior researcher Marie Trydeman Knudsen Mariet.firstname.lastname@example.org (+4522258387) or associate professor Lisbeth Mogensen Lisbeth.email@example.com (+45 8715 8025)
Application procedureShortlisting is used. This means that after the deadline for applications – and with the assistance from the assessment committee chairman, and the appointment committee if necessary, – the head of department selects the candidates to be evaluated. All applicants will be notified whether or not their applications have been sent to an expert assessment committee for evaluation. The selected applicants will be informed about the composition of the committee, and each applicant is given the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that concerns him/her self. Once the recruitment process is completed a final letter of rejection is sent to the deselected applicants.
Letter of referenceIf you want a referee to upload a letter of reference on your behalf, please state the referee’s contact information when you submit your application. We strongly recommend that you make an agreement with the person in question before you enter the referee’s contact information, and that you ensure that the referee has enough time to write the letter of reference before the application deadline.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to ensure that letters of reference received after the application deadline will be taken into consideration.
Formalities and salary rangeTechnical Sciences refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
The application must be in English and include a curriculum vitae, degree certificate, a complete list of publications, a statement of future research plans and information about research activities, teaching portfolio and verified information on previous teaching experience (if any). Guidelines for applicants can be found here.
Appointment shall be in accordance with the collective labour agreement between the Danish Ministry of Taxation and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Taxation and the Confederation of Professional Associations.
Aarhus University’s ambition is to be an attractive and inspiring workplace for all and to foster a culture in which each individual has opportunities to thrive, achieve and develop. We view equality and diversity as assets, and we welcome all applicants.
Research activities will be evaluated in relation to actual research time. Thus, we encourage applicants to specify periods of leave without research activities, in order to be able to subtract these periods from the span of the scientific career during the evaluation of scientific productivity.
Aarhus University offers a broad variety of services for international researchers and accompanying families, including relocation service and career counselling to expat partners. Read more here. Please find more information about entering and working in Denmark here.
Aarhus University also offers a Junior Researcher Development Programme targeted at career development for postdocs at AU. You can read more about it here.
The application must be submitted via Aarhus University’s recruitment system, which can be accessed under the job advertisement on Aarhus University's website.
Questions about the position?
Marie Trydeman Knudsen Senior Researcher, Department of Agroecology - Agricultural Systems and Sustainability +4522258387 firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about application and proces?
Nat-Tech Administrative Centre - Nat-Tech HR nat-tech.HR.email@example.com