Deadline 31 Jan 23:59 CET
Expected start 1 Apr
Department of Agroecology - Soil Physics and Hydropedology Blichers Allé 20 8830 Tjele
Fixed term full-time position 1 Apr 2023 - 31 Mar 2026 ID: 10873
You will be part of a research environment focusing on updating and improving the current data and models for modelling water and nutrient transport processes at different scales. Modelling includes use of both empirical based nitrate field leaching models as well as mechanistic and deterministic simulation models. Catchment scale modelling includes collaboration with institutes inside and outside AU.
You will work with experimentally data from field experiments including quantitative calibration and validation of field nitrate leaching models. The works also includes hydraulic and transport models used at catchment scale.
Data management, development, and maintenance of databases related to field experiments (soil characteristics, field management, nutrients in soil, weather data) will be a part of your work.
We expect that you will be an important part of our research environment and that you will contribute positively to the social working environment. We also expect that you will take part in our teaching activities and that you will be able to report research results in high-impact scientific journals.
We are searching for a highly motivated candidate who has
- A PhD related to the Soil-Plant Atmosphere Continuum (SPAC) or similar soil related complex systems including modelling of soil-water nutrient dynamics.
- Collaborative skills.
- A willingness taking the initiative and the desire to pursue a scientific career.
- Documented experience in scientific writing and publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Research experience in the areas of modelling agricultural soil-crop-nitrogen systems.
- Research experience in spatial land use-, soil-, topography-, hydrology-data to predict valuable areas for different purposes e.g. nitrogen drain measures.
- Knowledge in agricultural practice under North European conditions.
- Teaching experience at BSc and MSc level.
- Interest and preferably experience in developing competitive national and international research applications.
- Experience in planning and conducting of field experimental work.
- Good communication skills that can assist in coordinating the project.
- Interest in governmental support tasks.
At the Department of Agroecology, our main goal is to contribute to sustainable solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems within the areas of soil, plants, animals, humans, and the environment. We want to make a difference by contributing to both fundamental knowledge generation and the attainment of sustainable production systems via state-of-the-art research, contracted policy advice, and education. We offer state-of-the-art laboratories, greenhouses, semi-field, and field-scale research facilities, advanced computing capacities as well as an extensive national and international researcher network. The department consists of seven research sections with around 270 highly dedicated employees, of which approximately 50% are scientific staff. More information can be found here.
What we offer
- An informal and multicultural research environment with high professionalism, where accountability, commitment, helpfulness, flexibility, and close collaboration is a prerequisite to solving the core tasks
- A good social environment with activities and routines that make it possible to talk across and strengthen the collaborative relationship, and where mutual trust, respect, kindness, and professional sparring are emphasized
- A flexible workplace with a good work-life balance
- An exciting and varied working environment, where two days rarely resemble each other. We are often busy, and we work creatively for solutions to societal challenges
- Subsidized preschool child care and a free education system from primary school up to university level
- Universal health insurance as a resident of Denmark, including family members officially residing in Denmark
- Five weeks of paid holiday per year
- In connection with childbirth: the right to have a total of 52 weeks of shared maternal/paternal leave with full or partial salary pay
- The soil section have a mix of many nationalities and a balanced number of men and women.
The place of work is Aarhus University, Campus Foulum. The affiliation will be with the Department of Agroecology.
More information can be obtained from Senior Researcher Christen D. Børgesen (email@example.com ) or associated Professor Bo V. Iversen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application procedureShortlisting is used. This means that after the deadline for applications – and with the assistance from the assessment committee chairman, and the appointment committee if necessary, – the head of department selects the candidates to be evaluated. All applicants will be notified whether or not their applications have been sent to an expert assessment committee for evaluation. The selected applicants will be informed about the composition of the committee, and each applicant is given the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that concerns him/her self. Once the recruitment process is completed a final letter of rejection is sent to the deselected applicants.
Letter of referenceIf you want a referee to upload a letter of reference on your behalf, please state the referee’s contact information when you submit your application. We strongly recommend that you make an agreement with the person in question before you enter the referee’s contact information, and that you ensure that the referee has enough time to write the letter of reference before the application deadline.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to ensure that letters of reference received after the application deadline will be taken into consideration.
Formalities and salary rangeTechnical Sciences refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
The application must be in English and include a curriculum vitae, degree certificate, a complete list of publications, a statement of future research plans and information about research activities, teaching portfolio and verified information on previous teaching experience (if any). Guidelines for applicants can be found here.
Appointment shall be in accordance with the collective labour agreement between the Danish Ministry of Taxation and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Taxation and the Confederation of Professional Associations.
Aarhus University’s ambition is to be an attractive and inspiring workplace for all and to foster a culture in which each individual has opportunities to thrive, achieve and develop. We view equality and diversity as assets, and we welcome all applicants.
Research activities will be evaluated in relation to actual research time. Thus, we encourage applicants to specify periods of leave without research activities, in order to be able to subtract these periods from the span of the scientific career during the evaluation of scientific productivity.
Aarhus University offers a broad variety of services for international researchers and accompanying families, including relocation service and career counselling to expat partners. Read more here. Please find more information about entering and working in Denmark here.
Aarhus University also offers a Junior Researcher Development Programme targeted at career development for postdocs at AU. You can read more about it here.
The application must be submitted via Aarhus University’s recruitment system, which can be accessed under the job advertisement on Aarhus University's website.
Questions about the position?
Christen Duus Børgesen Senior Researcher, Department of Agroecology - Soil Physics and Hydropedology +4521694138 email@example.com
Questions about application and proces?
Nat-Tech Administrative Centre - HR Department +4525580678 nat-tech.HR.firstname.lastname@example.org