Aarhus University Seal

Graduates of Aarhus University

Digital diplomas

As of 15 May 2018, diplomas will be issued digitally and send to graduates’ e-Boks accounts.

However, some graduates are exempted from the use of e-Boks (Read more in the Danish Act on public digital post). These graduates, in addition to international students, who are not subject to the requirement to use e-Boks, will receive physical copies of their diplomas sent by post. All graduates who are neither internationals nor exempt from the e-Boks requirement will only receive digital copies of their diplomas.

Handling digital diplomas and authentication

As a graduate, you have the option of sharing your digital diploma in e-Boks with a potential employer or another relevant party. e-Boks has prepared a guide to how you give others access to a document in your e-Boks.

Of course, you can also download your diploma from e-Boks and save it as a PDF if you wish to print it out or send it as an attached file.

You may need to provide a potential employer proof of the authenticity of your diploma and that it was issued by Aarhus University. The option of giving third parties access to the document allows you to do precisely this easily. You can also provide authentication of your diploma (or another document issued by Aarhus University) by logging on to e-Boks in connection with a face-to-face meeting, for example a job interview.

Contents of the diploma

A digital diploma from Aarhus University is comprised of:

  • A message of congratulations from the dean of the issuing faculty
  • Specification of degree earned and overview of grades in Danish and English
  • Qualification profile in Danish and English (does not apply to degree programmes under the Ministerial Order on Examinations on Professionally Oriented Higher Education Degree Programmes)
  • Diploma Supplement
  • A description of the Danish educational system in English issued by the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Higher Education

The name on the diploma

Diplomas are generated on the background of data from the university’s studies administration systems, including information about names of graduates from the CPR register. The name on the diploma is always the graduate’s official given name, and never a nickname.

Graduates who fulfil the conditions for issuance of a hardcopy diploma have the option of changing the address the diploma should be sent to. This can be done in the Student Self-Service (STADS) system.

A new diploma will NOT be issued to graduates who change their names – the diploma is original documentation based on the information available at the time of issue. If a graduate wishes to receive a new and revised diploma on the grounds of errors in information about their name at the time of issue, the graduate must document that the name in the CPR register was incorrect at that time. 

Read more under When are new diplomas issued? below.

Issuance of the diploma

Under section 31 of the Examination Order, graduates are responsible for contacting the university immediately if they do not receive their diplomas within two months after the results of the final exam have been released. The month of July is not included when calculating the two-month deadline.

Diplomas are only issued for the entirety of the degree programme completed (in other words, Bachelor’s, Master’s or professional Master’s degree programmes). Students who break off a degree programme without completing it may request a transcript of records documenting the passed elements of the degree programme.

Lost diplomas

The university issues only one diploma per completed degree programme (i.e. per Bachelor’s, Master’s or professional Master’s degree completed). For this reason, the university can only provide graduates who lose their diploma with a certified copy of the original diploma or a transcript of records accompanied by a letter certifying that the graduate has successfully completed the degree programme in question. The university may not re-issue a diploma (however, see exceptions below).

Under what circumstances does the university re-issue diplomas?

There are a number of situations in which the university does re-issue diplomas. In all cases, it is not possible to re-issue a diploma until the original has been returned, in cases in which the original diplomas was not issued digitally, and the graduate must contact studies information (contact information at right) within three months after the release of the student’s final grade.

1. In case of a student complaint about a grade after the diploma has been issued, which results in the the student being offered a re-examination or re-assessment: If the student accepts the offer, the administration must retract the diploma until the new assessment is released, after which a new diploma is issued. (Section 37 of the Examination Order).

2. If it is discovered that a student has cheated on an exam and the penalty is the annulment of the grade after a diploma has been issued, the university annuls the diploma. A new diploma cannot be issued before the original has been returned (if the diploma was not issued digitally) and the student has passed the exam.

3. A new diploma may be issued if administrative errors have been made. For example, if transfer credit for a course has been registered incorrectly. The graduate must be able to document the error in the form of a transcript or similar from the university from which credit has been transferred.

4. To graduates who have undergone a legal sex change, a new diploma will be issued on request.

5. If the graduate is exempt from the use of e-Boks and receives a damaged diploma by post, a new diploma will be issued.

Description of grades awarded in connection with study abroad

For students who have received transfer credit for degree programme elements from universities abroad, a description of the grading scale in use at the university in question must be attached to the diploma. Students who study abroad should be informed that they will be required to submit a description of the grading scale used by the university abroad where they are studying. Students must also provide an English translation of the name of the course to be included in the English version of the diploma.