Info for contact persons/supervisors

Housing options for international staff via AU Housing

AU Housing assists international staff arriving directly from abroad finding accommodation. International staff who has previously been living in Denmark can not apply for housing via AU Housing, but can instead use the AU Staff Housing Portal to find accommodation to sublet.

There are different housing options for international staff:

  • AU Housing disposes of a number of single rooms at the Vennelyst and Teknolog dormitories. Please note that the rooms can be reserved for a maximum of 12 months and that the rooms are reserved for first-time applicants. Please read about the application process below. 
  • Via our Staff Housing Portal it is possible to find accommodation to sublet. 
  • Application procedure for the Nobelparken  is described here.
  • Other options.

The housing application process consists of the following steps:

  • Housing applicants must set up an account on AU's self-service system.
  • When the applicant is logged on to the self-service system, they must fill out the relevant housing application form. 
  • The applicant's contact person or supervisor at AU will then receive an email, which requests them to verify via a link that the applicant is a guest or employee at AU.
  • After the contact person has responded to the email, the housing applicant will receive a confirmation email from the contact person. This will allow the applicant to complete their housing application and submit it to AU Housing via the self-service system.
  • AU Housing will then try to find accommodation, and eventually send a housing offer to the applicant. The applicant can either accept or reject this offer.
  • If the applicant wishes to accept the housing offer, then they must pay the first month's rent via a 'Dibs' payment system. This system requires an applicant to have a credit card. The security deposit will only be charged later on, together with the second month's rent (usually after arrival).
  • Unfortunately, AU Housing cannot repost invoices regarding rent/deposit to institutes/centres due to the fact that our administrative system does not support this service. Payment of rent and deposit can only be done with a credit card at If institutes/centres wish to pay rent/deposit for international students or staff members, this can be done by issuing them with an AU credit card or by a staff member paying with his/her AU credit card. When settling the payment in AURUS, a project number or grant funds must be indicated. 

Via AU Housing, you can find information about the AU housing service for the various target groups.

If you have any questions, you are very welcome to contact