Housing FAQ

Booking fee

From 1.5.2018 a booking fee of 500 DKK will be charged when accepting a housing offer with a duration of more than one month.

I am allocated a room far out of town. Can I move closer to campus?

Most students are allocated rooms outside the campus area and the city center. If you must live in the city centre, you will have to look for a room at the private market. From most rooms allocated via AU Housing it is possible to reach campus within 30 minutes, either by bike or by bus. After your arrival you have the option of signing up to our accommodation waiting list if you wish to change your accommodation. If any vacancies become available, they will be distributed to the students on the waiting list. However, the number of students wanting to move closer to campus by far exceeds the number of available rooms, so your best chance is to find a room yourself at the private market.

My contract starts 1 January, but I don’t arrive until 22 January. Do I need to pay the full rent for January?

Yes, you need to pay your rent from the start of your housing period. It is not possible to postpone a housing contract.

Most residences and all shared facility houses offer contracts from the 1st in a month (not for a half month.) It also means that you can end your contract by the end of a month (not in the middle of a month.) Some dorms also offer contracts from the 15th.

In Aarhus there is a massive shortage of rooms for students. It means, that a landlord can always find a new tenant to move in as soon as the previous tenant moves out. If you are offered a room from for instance January 1st, but don't want to take it before February 1st, it is highly unlikely that the landlord will accept you and instead he will just offer the room to the next student in line.

You can pick up your key any weekday after your contract has started. It is not a problem to arrive several weeks later, but please inform housing@au.dk if you arrive more than two weeks later than your contract starts.

Danish universities don't have their own housing. Instead, the universities make agreements with dorms, housing organisations and private landlords in order to be able to provide rooms for the international students. It means that you will not receive a contract from AU (but instead from the dorm, housing organisation or private landlord) and that you have to comply with the rules set by these. AU Housing will of course check that rules and regulations are within the Danish legislation, but if you are not happy with the rules and regulations, Aarhus University can't change them. Especially we recommend that you check the rules about when to move out from your room, as these rules differ from lease to lease, and to our experience troubles a lot of students. Unfortunately Aarhus University has no influence at all on these regulations and they are in full compliance with the Danish rental laws.

I want to live near campus - what can I do?

It is very difficult to find accommodation near campus and therefore most students (Danish and internationals) live at a distance from campus and go by bike or bus to and from campus. If you apply for housing via AU Housing you can't expect to be offered a room close to campus. You can use www.journeyplanner.dk to find your way.

If the location of your room is your primary concern, you have to find a room at the private market. It is not easy (and expensive too), but it is possible if you make an effort.

My intro week starts in late January. Why am I offered a room from 1 January?

AU Housing tries to find rooms for as many students as possible in cooperation with the local dorms, housing organisations and private landlords. As Danish universities are not allowed to pay students' rents, AU Housing must offer a room to a new student as soon as the previous student moves out. 

This means that you might need to pay your rent for some weeks where you don't need your room, (or that you need to find temporary accommodation until you can move into your room.) Alternatively, you can instead look for a room at the private market, where you might be able to find a room to sublet with a private landlord, maybe more flexible, than the dorms and housing organisations that AU Housing cooperates with.

My contract starts 1 February, but I arrive 20 January. What can I do?

You can't collect your key before the date your contract starts. If you arrive before, we recommend that you book a room in for instance a hostel. Find some useful links here.

My contract starts 15.1., but I have a problem and I will not arrive until 1.2. Do I need to pay rent for half of January?

Yes, you need to pay your rent from the start of your housing period no matter the reason for your delay including problems with visa, illness or any other reasons.

I have seen there is a vacant room in a dorm where I want to live. Can I move there?

No. AU Housing can provide only one room for you. Only a limited number of rooms in each dorm are reserved for exchange students and vacant rooms can’t be given to exchange students. If you want to move, you can either look for a room at the private market or sign up at the waiting list at the Housing Reception.

Why do I have to leave my room 7 weekdays or two weeks before my contract expires?

At some dorms (but not all) you have to leave your room either 7 working days or 2 weeks before your contract expires. The rule allows the caretaker to maintain the room. You have to pay rent during the period of maintenance. Read your contract and online residence information carefully to find out what applies to your situation. The rule is in accordance with the Danish rental law and it is not possible for you to stay in your room during the period of maintenance for whatever reason you may have.

I have applied for accommodation but I am not going to study in Århus after all. Do I have to pay for my accommodation anyway?

If you inform us at least 6 weeks before your contract starts, we will refund you the paid rent. If you inform us less than 6 weeks before your contract starts, you will have to observe the termination notice in your contract and pay the rent for this period. The invoice will be sent to you.

I haven’t got my visa yet, so my arrival will be delayed. Can I postpone my contract?

Your landlord or residence expect the rent to be paid regardless of the reason for your delay. All leasing contracts are individual and cannot be transferred to another person. Therefore it is not possible to postpone a leasing contract, but a contract can always be cancelled with 6 weeks notice.

Can I live in University accommodation in my second year?

No. The AU housing office can provide accommodation for you for maximum 2 semesters only.

Is it necessary to purchase a home insurance?

Yes. The University does not assume responsibility for the loss of money or valuables, damages to property or injuries on the premises. Therefore it is strongly recommended that you take out a home content insurance to protect against such losses.

As an example: you can't live in your accommodation for a month due to damages after a fire or water from a burst water pipe. Your home insurance will cover your temporary relocation and compensate for your loss of belongings.

Can I choose which University residence I will be living in?

It is unfortunately not possible to choose a specific residence. When you fill in your housing application, you can choose whether you would prefer to live near campus, have a cheap room or a private bathroom, and you can choose whether you would prefer to live in a residence, a shared facilities house or a sublet room.

What if I am not happy with my allocated room?

If you are not happy with your accommodation when you arrive, AU Housing recommends that you allow time to adjust to your new residence. Our experience shows that many students find they are happy once they have settled in and met new friends.

If, after 4 weeks, you still wish to move, please sign up to our accommodation waiting list at the IC. If any vacancies become available they will be distributed to the students on the waiting list.

What about bed linen?

You have to bring (or buy) your own duvet, pillow, bed linen and towels.

Do I need to bring my own furniture?

No. All rooms rented through AU are furnished with a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp. Some rooms might have extra furniture. The kitchens are equipped with basic utensils for cooking and eating. However, AU Housing doesn't provide microwaves, toasters, rice cookers or the like.

Is there any accommodation suitable for students with special needs?

If you have a disability or medical condition which needs to be taken into account in the accommodation allocation procedure, you should write this on the Accommodation Application Form.  Only information provided at the time of application, along with written confirmation from a Medical Practitioner, will be taken into account in the allocation process.  All disability/medical information provided will be treated confidentially and be used for the accommodation procedure only.

I need family accommodation, what should I do?

The number of residences suitable for families and couples are in limited supply at our university. Please write about your preferences in the special remarks part of the application form and we will do our best to find you suitable accommodation.

I have a pet. Can I bring it with me?

Only one dorm, Skjoldhøjkollegiet, allows pets. Therefore you have to write in your application that you bring a pet and therefore need to be allocated a room at the Skjoldhøj kollegium.